I just got back from the gym. Yep, the gym. Last week I decided that I would try my hand at running - eventually. For now, I'm working on building up some endurance and the ability to at least jog for any length of time. I posted the first two weeks of the schedule I found in my last post. Today I completed the first day. I did, I will admit, cut it short by 5 minutes because I wound up with a sore on the heel of my right foot (from socks that didn't cover enough).
I'm surprised at how "easy" it was for me. I walked for 2 minutes, ran for one. Walked 2, ran 1. I did that for 25 minutes, and am proud of myself. I mean, I can totally walk for 25 minutes, it was the running every 2 that worried me. I wanted to finish - I told myself from the beginning of the time that I needed to finish. No excuses. At about 15 minutes my legs were getting tired and I could feel the sore on my heel. I ignored it, kept going, and with a little help from Vince Vaughn and Ellen I forgot about the tired legs and sore heel.
At 20 minutes, my heel felt raw, so I paused the treadmill to take a look. Blister had formed and popped. I kept going, but at about 23 minutes I was limping. I know it sounds lame, and for people who are totally in shape it's not a lot, but I set a goal and I did it. I have to go out later today, so I'll squeeze in the last 5 minutes of walking then.
I don't know how many steps I took today, but I'm that much closer to being a happier, healthier me.
No comments:
Post a Comment